Introducing 809 South Military
The CVUU Board of Directors, on behalf of the congregation, purchased the property at 809 South Military Highway, a former professional office building, in the Indian River section of Virginia Beach in April of 2017.
- It’s big, boasting 9+ acres, 111 parking spaces and 24,000 square feet
- It’s high and dry with 6 to 8 feet of margin above likely storm flooding and and the building is dry in modeled Category 3 hurricane storm surge flooding.
- It’s centrally located with convenient access from I-64, I-264, and Indian River Road.
The building was originally designed to serve as the headquarters of the Tidewater Construction Corporation during its construction of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and other large commercial projects. To transform it from an office building into a church, major internal renovations were required, including the removal of the 2,500 square feet second floor above the new sanctuary. Renovations also included new restrooms, mechanical and plumbing systems, and stairways to the second and third floors.
The Board and Sacred Space Team have been working with local architect Robyn Thomas for the last 16 months to bring CVUU to life. As part of her work, Robyn developed conceptual designs and engaged an acoustical engineer to assist with the design of the social hall and sanctuary spaces.
The building was built in 1959-1960 and used but not abused. Because of its age, the building needed an extensive renovation to restore its attractiveness. Among the many changes were
- Bringing city water and sewers onto the property
- Updating the electrical service
- Installing modern energy management, heating, and cooling systems.
- Installing modern energy efficient LED lighting and lighting management systems.
- Installing modern access controls
- Installing digital video and audio distribution and data networking systems
- Providing mesh WiFi service in meeting areas
- Insulating most attic spaces and some exterior walls
- Replacing inadequate dated restrooms with ADA- compliant restrooms
- Installing new sound and lighting systems in the sanctuary and social hall
- Installing new assistive listening systems throughout the meeting spaces using modern technology compatible with modern hearing aids.
- Repaving portions of the driveway and parking lot
- Installing fire-suppression sprinkler system and fire alarm systems
The new building has the following characteristics
- About 22,000 square feet of meeting and office space
- Large kitchen and prep space to support pot luck meals, NEST hot meals, and social gathering meals or reception catering.
- Sanctuary seating 200 + and a balcony for those lofty of spirit. The sanctuary design and surface treatments tune the space for good performing acoustics.
- New T-Loop assistive listening system to transmit directly to T-Coil capable hearing aids without need for an additional receiver and headphones. Portable receivers will serve those not currently using hearing aids.
- Nursery and toddler space with toddler sized lavatory.
- Space for a laundry, records storage, fair trade shop, etc.
- ADA compliant access and egress meeting modern fire codes.
- Elevator providing access to all three floor levels
- Courtyard and playground
- Landscaped grounds making various outdoor activities possible. Undeveloped wetlands and buffer areas surround buildings providing a park-like setting, separating facility from surrounding businesses and development.