Join Us for Social Justice!
The Social Justice Committee (SJC) is a standing CVUU committee that adheres to UUA principles and the CVUU By-Laws. It is responsible for:
1. Educating itself and the congregation regarding pertinent issues of social justice
2. Acting together to redress these issues, and
3. Involving the congregation in these efforts.
Currently, CVUU’s social justice priorities are:
· Affordable housing and homelessness
· Affordable healthcare and healthcare access
· Environmental quality, climate change, sea-level rise, and community resiliency
· Equal rights and gender equality
· LGBTQ rights and ending discrimination
· Racial justice and fighting racism in our community
The SJC’s role is to increase knowledge of these topics and to encourage participation in appropriate local organizations and activities.
Contact: Elisa Dickon at firstname.lastname@example.org
CVUU’s SJC makes a difference!
Coastal Virginia UU has a strong social justice tradition. During the ’50s and ’60s, the Unitarian Church of Norfolk (predecessor of CVUU) ministry and lay folk were visible advocates for the end of segregation and Jim Crow law in Virginia. During the ’70s and ’80s, the focus shifted to LGBTQ equality, HIV, and marriage equality. Currently, CVUU’s social justice priorities are:
- Affordable housing and homelessness
- Affordable healthcare and healthcare access
- Environmental quality, climate change, sea-level rise, and community resiliency
- Equal rights and gender equality
- LGBTQ rights and ending discrimination
- Racial justice and fighting racism in our community
Internally, the Social Justice Committee’s role is to increase the congregation’s knowledge of these topics and to encourage participation in appropriate local organizations and activities. CVUU’s Social Justice Committee works with and through other regional and Virginia organizations including:
- Catholic Worker
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Elizabeth River Project
- Ghent Area Ministries
- Hampton Roads Gazeti
- Hampton Roads Pride
- Interfaith Alliance at the Beach
- LGBT Life Center
- Lynnhaven River Now
- Norfolk Emergency Shelter Team
- Unitarian Universalist Social Committee
- Virginia Interfaith Center
- Virginia Interfaith Power and Light
Social Justice Committee members participate in the activities of many of these regional activities bringing a Unitarian Universalist perspective to them and amplifying our congregation’s voice in important regional affairs.
Our Social Justice Committee sponsors a monthly offering supporting local programs, national and international service programs.